Essential Guide for Bangkok Condo Ownership in 2024

Bangkok condo ownership laws in 2024 will probably stay the same as in 2023. However, Thailand property laws can be a potential minefield of madness if you don’t know what you’re doing or you don’t have access to a Thai property lawyer or a trusted and reliable Thailand real estate agent like Hero Realtor Bangkok.


Bangkok, the beating heart of Thailand, is not only known for its vibrant street life and ornate temples but also for its ever-evolving real estate market. As we step into 2024, the metropolitan allure of Bangkok continues to attract investors and residents alike. If you’re considering owning a condominium in this bustling city, here’s your essential guide to make an informed decision.

1. Understand the Legal Framework

Foreign ownership of property in Thailand has certain restrictions. However, condominiums stand out as an exception:


  • Foreign Ownership Quota: Foreigners can own up to 49% of the total saleable area of a condo building. The remaining 51% must be owned by Thai nationals.
  • Freehold vs Leasehold: Most foreigners opt for freehold ownership, where they own the condo indefinitely. Leasehold, on the other hand, provides ownership for a fixed term, usually 30 years, with the possibility of renewal.


2. Location, Location, Location

The value of your condo in Bangkok greatly depends on its location:


  • Central Business District (CBD): Areas like Silom, Sathorn, and Sukhumvit are in high demand due to their proximity to businesses, shopping centers, and nightlife.
  • Riverside Properties: With picturesque views of the Chao Phraya River, locations like Charoenkrung and Charoennakorn are becoming increasingly popular.
  • Upcoming Districts: Areas like Bang Sue and Bang Na are rapidly developing and might offer good returns in the future.


3. Accessibility

Bangkok’s Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) and Bangkok Transit System (BTS) Skytrain networks have expanded impressively. Condos near these transit lines fetch a premium because of the convenience they offer.


4. Market Trends

The Bangkok condo market has seen shifts in the past few years. There’s a trend towards smaller, more affordable units. Additionally, there’s been a surge in demand for eco-friendly buildings and smart home technologies.


5. Due Diligence

Before making a purchase:


  • Check the Developer’s Track Record: Established developers like Sansiri, Ananda, and AP have solid reputations and are less likely to encounter project delays.
  • Review Legal Documents: It’s crucial to go through the title deed, sale and purchase agreement, and the juristic person’s regulations.

6. Additional Costs

Remember to factor in:


  • Maintenance Fees: These are monthly fees for the upkeep of common areas and amenities.
  • Sinking Fund: A one-time fee for future major repairs.
  • Transfer Fees: Paid during the transfer of ownership, usually split between the buyer and seller.


7. The Bangkok Lifestyle

One of the perks of condo living in Bangkok is the lifestyle it offers. Modern condos come with amenities like gyms, pools, and co-working spaces. Moreover, Bangkok itself presents a mosaic of culture, food, and entertainment.


8. The Resale Factor

If you’re considering your condo as an investment, think about its resale value. Properties in prime locations with good maintenance records and modern amenities tend to have a higher resale value.


9. Rental Opportunities

Bangkok’s transient population ensures a steady demand for rental properties. If you don’t plan on residing in your condo, renting it out can provide a steady stream of passive income.


10. Seek Expert Advice

Lastly, it’s always beneficial to consult with local real estate experts or legal professionals who can provide insights specific to your needs and preferences. You could pay for a Thai property lawyer to show you the way, but that could be expensive, especially in th long-run. However, at Hero Realtor Bangkok, we can help you with some advice and even point you towards reliable Thai property lawyers if you need one.


Hero Real or Bangkok is here to guide you every step of the way from finding a Bangkok condo that suits your budget and needs, right through to sale and even aftersales.


Please click to see some of the best Bangkok condos for sale


Bangkok’s allure is undeniable. As the city grows, so do opportunities for condo ownership. By understanding the market, staying informed about legal procedures, and focusing on prime locations, owning a piece of Bangkok in 2024 can be both a lucrative investment and a dream fulfilled. You can visit our website by clicking here or email us directly at

Join The Discussion

Compare listings